There is so much content around us to consume that it’s super easy to get lost in the noise of it all. By noise I’m talking when you’re endlessly scrolling through your feeds, randomly clicking videos on YouTube. It’s easy to get lost to the endless scrolling and lose so much time online. There’s an abundance of free content, waiting to be found by YOU. Whether you’re interested in blog posts, videos, photos or you’re more naturally prone, to conversing in a language of GIFs and 260 character limit tweets.
I used to follow so many people on the platforms I had but I got to the point where it was too much. I wanted to consume content with intention and be mindful of who I was following, the channels I was subscribed to. I wanted to share my thoughts and my process of how I go about curating spaces and feeds full of content I enjoy. It’s so important to curate your feeds accordingly to protect your mental health, as well as to inspire yourself and top of that creative pool! (as a side note never feel like you’re being rude for “breaking” a mutual on a platform, you don’t owe someone your energy/time and I think that’s really important to remember!)
I’m going to style this post slightly differently, so in each “section” I’ll have a Live Updates subheading with date and time stamps of my thought process as I tackle each process. As well as including my process and how I tackle each category, as I approach each platform slightly differently!
My Live Updates
15:25 14/06/20: 68 channels…look I can tell you now I am not regularly watching all these channels content. I know that for a fact.
15:40 14/06/20: We got it down to 29…and that’s like technically 27 because one channel has yet to post anything at the time of me doing this and the other is a channel I keep meaning to watch their videos. So I can decide if I want to keep subbed or not.
16:44 11/08/20: I would just like to pop back in and mention that I had to set up everything on a new YouTube account and as of now I’m currently subscribed to 29 channels (3 are music based channels, Ateez/KQ Entertainment/E’LAST)
The choice I make to unsubscribe from a channel isn’t a light one, I take into account several things before I click unsubscribe, some I have to think harder about than others.
- Do I enjoy their content? Am I actively watching their content?: By this I mean am I normally watching their videos within the week it posts, does their content inspire me/allow me to escape. If I’m not enjoying their content then it’s likely I won’t really be actively consuming content.
- How does their content make me feel? What does their content bring into my life?: There’s not really one answer fits all. For some channels they inspire me, for others I just wholeheartedly enjoy the human behind the camera, creating the content. I enjoy consuming content which helps inspire and motivate me to grow as a person, as well as to refill my creative pools. I also enjoy consuming content which feels like an escape, where instead of making my brain burst to life with ideas, is soothes it and allows it to just be.
- Type of channel: In the past I used to sub to a load of music channels, VEVO channels, fan channels and the list just went on and on. It was a mess of my past loves colliding when I originally tackled it. Now I do my best to be super mindful of the type of channels I subscribe to. At the moment, I did double check I’m only subbed to one music channel type and that’s Ateez. Hi I’m an Atiny and I enjoy consuming their content hehe. (edit me is here to clarify I’m also subbed to KQ Entertainment and E’LAST who are a new K-Pop group who’ve recently debuted.)
Taking all of those questions in mind, I then go through the process and cleanse my subscription list, I do actually need to go through the process of replenishing my subscription list. With new channels that inspire me/provide an escape and then later on in the year I’ll repeat this process. It’s all about making sure I’m consuming videos that truly inspire, motivate and allow me to grow as a person, learn new things.
My Live Updates
16:17 14/06/20: So I’m just sat here being terrified to actually tackle this. I genuinely want everyone to know that if I unfollowed you, don’t take it to heart. I just really want to get a hold of who I’m following on twitter again because I’m following 640 people (that’s after unfollowing a good 60 or more who were still following she who must not be named).
16:56 14/06/20: Can we appreciate that I’ve spent like half an hour procrastinating doing this task…yeah so I’m going to be back in a bit because I need to check some other things off my GYST list, and tea is required before I dive into this.
17:25 14/06/20: Ok time to tackle this, I’m going to say that I may unfollow like…half? So I may go from following 640 people to 320 or around that…honestly I’m just scared at this point because this is a ruthless unfollowing time so I can curate my twitter timeline to be full of accounts I love, appreciate and tweets that I like.
17:29 14/06/20: I’m going to be scrolling to the start and working from the accounts I’ve been following the longest, to the most recent.
17:41 14/06/20: Real talk I’m not even 1/4 of the way through this but this is genuinely so hard to unfollow people. Particularly my fellow my bloggers but I also know that at the end of the day it’s for my own mental health. There’s literally no point following someone when I don’t engage with them or even see their tweets.
17:56 14/06/20: Hello a nice check in so we’re at 478 now and I’m probably half way through? At least I hope am and honestly, this and instagram are going to be the harder ones to cleanse.
18:13 14/06/20: Well I have finished cleansing and from 640…I’m now following 365. Ooop my guestimate wasn’t too far out then to be honest, I feel happier knowing I’m following accounts I want to interact with and see on my timeline though.
16:49 11/08/20: Currently following 368 people
I’ve never ruthlessly gone through my twitter list, I’ve casually gone through it before but this will be the first time I’ll be ruthless. So below are the factors I’m taking into account on who I’m unfollowing and who I’ll keep following. I’d also like to state that whether the person follows me back or not, does not play a part in this.
- Friends won’t be unfollowed: when I say friends, I’m talking online friends who I actively chat to, sometimes across multiple platforms and sometimes it’s mostly on twitter xD
- Do I engage with their tweets?: I engage with people’s tweets a fair bit when I can, sometimes I may not because I’m an extremely awkward person on twitter unless the other user is my friend. Then I tend to dive in and engage. Anyway, am I engaging with their tweets, if not do I want to engage more with this person?
- Do I like seeing their tweets on my timeline?: Pretty simple, if I enjoy seeing their tweets then they’re probably staying regardless of whether we’re friends or I engage with them. If I don’t like seeing their tweets then…bye.
My Live Updates
11:05 15/06/20: So we’re sitting at 351 accounts I’m following on here, I’m guessing it may go down around 100 or so, shouldn’t really go down too much. Problem is my bookstagram is also…my personal insta too now which is an all round pain.
11:28 15/06/20: It’s down to 322 now. I feel like I unfollowed more than that but I’ll take it, may do another sweep through later on.
21:52 15/06/20: No one asked but I just finished organising all my posts into the new categories I’ve made, so I’m slightly giddy off of finally accomplishing that task. Anyway, I’m going to be doing one last sweep through on my insta to see if I want to unfollow anymore accounts.
22:02 15/06/20: Ok we started at 351 and I’m now at 275. I’m ok with that, it’s likely that I’ll follow more bookstagrams in the future so that number will steadily increase again, which is fine.
17:06 11/08/20: Currently following 289 accounts
- Friends stay: I may erm…unfollow some in real life people I know we’ll see, but online friends are all staying and so many of my online friends have fabulous bookstagrams!
- Do I remember who this person is?: Hi this probably applies to twitters process as well but when I scroll through, there are many people who I’m like…I don’t know even know who you are? Cause sometimes I just randomly follow people back. Ahem so if I don’t remember or know the account, we saying bye.
- My bookstalore group stays followed: this is just an engagement pod I’m part of on insta, but I need to remember to stay followed to these lovely people.
My Live Updates
22:05 15/06/20: EXCUSE ME SOMEONE YELL AT ME I’m only following 35 blogs on Feedly, who let me be such an awful blogger *sobs* (that said it’s ok to not follow loads of blogs, I personally would like to follow more blogs, and I’m sure there are blogs that are not on my Feedly list) Ok first I’m going to go through the 35 blogs I’m following and make sure I want to still be following them all, then I’ll ensure they’re in the right list. THEN I’ll start updating with new blogs!
22:28 15/06/20: Whoop sorted the feeds out, and also cleared down any posts I’m not interested in reading and tomorrow I’ll probably be back so I can update with new blogs to follow!
11:13 16/06/20 I think I’m mostly done now, just need to find more blogs to follow and unfollow any that haven’t been active in several months!
17:11 11/08/20: I’m now following 54 blogs, mostly thanks to the Book Blogger Awards where I discovered so many more to follow and have more still to discover!
I use Feedly to hop to blog posts!
she says having not blog hopped in weeks at the time of writing this post
- How often do I click on their posts?: I do follow some blogs where I don’t always click on their posts, not because their posts aren’t fabulous. It’s because there are a few blogs where they mostly post reviews or types of content I don’t ordinarily gravitate towards. That aside if I’m rarely clicking on a blog post then it’s perhaps time to unfollow that person.
- Do I enjoy their content?: this point links with the first one, some people’s content I genuinely adore with my whole heart. Other people’s a like but it’s a hit and miss with their posts for me personally. That’s ok, you know not every post is going to appeal to everyone. If I enjoy their content overall, they stay.
- Inactive/hiatuses: I tend to unfollow blogs which haven’t been active for 3+ months UNLESS that person happens to be a friend of mine. In which case they’re not getting rid of me unless WP decides to keep unfollowing for them *glowers at WP*
‘Skinny Ratios’, Breaking The Moot And Why You Shouldn’t Feel Guilt
I just wanted to briefly talk about the whole skinny ratio aspect that this can potentially cause, if you have a lot of followers and then you unfollow a load of people. For me, it’s so noticeable on my twitter now as I’m following 368 people but I have 1.8k followers…and that’s ok. People have been unfollowing me since I did my cleanse and that’s ok, I don’t know their reasons for unfollowing me. Maybe they’re sick of seeing Ateez tweets on their timeline when they came for books. Just like they don’t know why I unfollowed them.
You can of course choose to mute the person if you don’t want to unfollow them yet but I just find it easier to dive right on in. Be unapologetic and set those boundaries, they’re important for us all to have both online and offline. I may write another post on boundaries we’ll see.
Breaking a moot is something one of my friends had mentioned and I get that, it’s very daunting at first and you do feel rude in a way. Once you get past that though, it’s a whole new world. A more inspiring timeline full of people you actually want to engage with!
If you follow me on any platform, I hope from the bottom of my heart, it’s because you genuinely enjoy my content/me as a person. If you’re following me to get a follow back you’re wasting your time on me. I used to follow back because I felt like I was obliged to do so, that’s how you end up with a ton of content on your feeds that you’re not really interested in.
Don’t feel guilty for curating feeds to help you grow and flourish as a person.
Eeek so I hope you all liked this post? It’s a bit different to my usual posts in terms of layout but I hope seeing my process, can be useful for you all! Something to keep in mind is it’s ok for you evolve as a person, for the content and people you followed to no longer inspire or connect with you. It’s part of evolving and growing as a person. However clinging onto your ‘digital past’, by staying subscribed/followed to all these people, isn’t going to help you in the long run. Not if you no longer enjoy their content.
Do you curate your social media feeds? If so how do you go about it? If not, are you planning to?